Tuesday, January 1, 2013

On Top of the World

Hello, my dear readers. First of all, I owe you all a huge apology. It has been WAY too long since my last blog post, and for this I am so, so sorry. Lately, I have been working on a wide array of projects including sexy man pajama pants for my friend Jacob, my quilt that never seems to end, knitting projects, and other small things. Because there is not one specific project that I'm focusing on, this blog post will rather just be a life update. I'm sorry if this seems like a repeat from what I post on Facebook daily. I hope you find it entertaining and I promise that one of my 2013 resolutions is to update my blog more often and with more sewing projects. Happy reading!

So, here we go:

In my last blog post, I talked of saying goodbye to friends as they left for college. Well, so much has changed since then. I have now finished my first quarter at Northwestern University, and I have to say: it is everything I could ask for in a college and so much more. I really could not be attending a more perfect school. Needless to say, I'm in love with it. And quite possibly the largest factor that has contributed to my pure enjoyment is the wonderful friends I've made. Here they are in all their goofy glory:
Three-fourths of these photos were taken at Willard Formal: the dance that was put on by my dorm in November.
Clockwise from top left: Mayank reading to Marshall on his birthday, Willard Formal chillin', Sarah and I riding the El into Chicago, and more Willard formal pics. 
Angela, Yari, Nicole, and I in Chicago for our Surrealist Art field trip, crazy strong Vassilis taking a break from his ninja card-throwing skills to pick me up, Natalie (best roommate ever) and I, and Sarah and I on the roof of Willard during the first snow.
Allie and I being our crazy selves, the best FUP small group counselor Mike showing his FUP love at Cheesie's, Allie, Caroline, and I about to enjoy some Zoba noodles, and Jacob pretending to be Rachel Maddow (hahaha!). 
Sarah and Matt "twinning" in their finals week Northwestern sweats, my crazy guy friends (again at Willard Formal), Football Man David holding Nick, and Hope and I during the first snow, as Hope attempts to collect a snow ball on his afro. 
All of these people are truly amazing. I am so lucky to have such incredible friends, and there are many more wonderful friends of whom I don't have pictures. So, if you're reading this and attend Northwestern, I suggest you become with these people ASAP if you're not already. They're amazing and have greatly contributed to my Northwestern experience so far. Or, you could just come to the third floor of Willard. We're a crazy bunch (a typical night includes some boys trying to climb the walls, Vassilis throwing cards, Nick belting out his beloved Classical music, and all the girls trying to control the boys).

I have tons of favorite moments from this past quarter, but here are a few:

For Halloween, my friend Caroline and I dressed up as the noble crime fighting duo Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy! (The superheroes from Spongebob Squarepants). Oh, and we won the Willard costume contest so that was pretty cool.

Favorite moment number two: one night I wanted to sew something, but I wanted to hang out with my friends, too. This was the compromise, haha. And the amount of people in my room in this photo is really not too unusual. It has to be because of our baked potato bean bag chair or Natalie's winning smile. :)


Favorite moment number three: my 19th birthday. Although my birthday this year fell on the Saturday before Finals Week, my friends still threw me a wonderful party. My mom even ordered me a birthday cake from an Evanston bakery! Because of my loving parents, Allie, Sarah, Natalie, and the rest of my friends, this birthday was one of the best I've had.



Favorite moment number four: doing anything with my two besties Sarah and Allie. Whether it was camping out in the library, talking about boys (yes, sometimes we are that stereotypical), going for runs (*power walks) around the lakefill at midnight, or just being silly, these gals are really the best.

Classes this past quarter were challenging, but I survived and learned what to improve on and what to continue doing. As it turns out, being a pre-med Biology and Psychology major at NU is not easy. Who would have thought?! (*over-exaggerated sarcasm*) Besides my schoolwork, I play lead trombone in the NU Community Jazz Program, I am a writer for Northwestern's STITCH Fashion Magazine and Blog (www.stitchfashion.com), and am a member of Happiness Club. Also, when I get back to campus next week, I am participating in the sorority rush! I'm both excited and nervous for it, considering I never really thought of myself as a stereotypical sorority girl. Since I've been at school, I've learned that sororities are completely different at Northwestern than any other school, and I'm hoping to find a sorority that will be the perfect match for me!


For now, I am really enjoying being home and being able to stock up on sleep. Lord knows when I get back to school, sleep will be at a minimum. At the beginning of break, I was able to see some of my siblings, along with my adorable niece Maya. I have also been working at my beloved job at Sew to Speak and have been enjoying the beautiful, Ohio snow. Also, being able to hang out with my wonderful parents and high school friends has been amazing.


I really mean it when I say that right now I am the happiest I have ever been--which is saying a lot considering I'm usually a pretty happy person. I'm sorry this post has been so sappy; I just wanted to give a life update to those interested. I promise there will be more sewing posts this year.



Thanks for reading and I hope this finds all of you in great health and happiness!

<3,
 Sydney










No comments:

Post a Comment